Monday, January 13, 2014

An Order for the Eucharist on the Second Sunday of Epiphany (19 January 2014)

The Second Sunday after Epiphany
19 January 2013

The Gathering of the Community

Gathering Music

Opening Hymn

‘O Come, All Ye Faithful’  Common Praise #118 vv. 1, 2, 3, 5a

Greeting

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God
and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
And also with you.

Almighty God,
to you all hearts are open,
all desires known
and from you no secrets are hidden.
Cleanse the thoughts of our hearts
by the inspiration of your Holy Spirit,
that we may perfectly love you
and worthily magnify your holy name;
through Christ our Lord.  Amen.

Hymn of Praise

Gloria in Excelsis by Rupert Lang

Collect of the Day

Let us pray.

Steadfast God,
you have enriched and enlightened us
by the revelation of your eternal Christ.
Comfort us in our mortality and strengthen us
to walk in the path of your desire,
so that by word and deed we may manifest
the gracious news of your faithfulness and love,
for you, with Christ and the Spirit, are one God,
now and for ever.  Amen. [i]

The Proclamation of the Word of God

The First Reading

A Reading from the Prophet Isaiah (49.1-7).

         Listen to me, O coastlands, pay attention, you peoples from far away!  The Lord called me before I was born, while I was in my mother’s womb he named me.  He made my mouth like a sharp sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me a polished arrow, in his quiver he hid me away.  And he said to me, “You are my servant, Israel, in whom I will be glorified.”  But I said, “I have laboured in vain, I have spent my strength for nothing and vanity; yet surely my cause is with the Lord, and my reward with my God.”

         And now the Lord says, who formed me in the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob back to him, and that Israel might be gathered to him, for I am honoured in the sight of the Lord, and my God has become my strength — he says, “It is too light a thing that you should be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob and to restore the survivors of Israel; I will give you as a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth.”

         Thus says the Lord, the Redeemer of Israel and his Holy One, to one deeply despised, abhorred by the nations, the slave of rulers, “Kings shall see and stand up, princes, and they shall prostrate themselves, because of the Lord, who is faithful, the Holy One of Israel, who has chosen you.”

Hear what the Spirit is saying to the church.
Thanks be to God.

The Psalm

Psalm 40.1-11 with the refrain from Songs for the Holy One

Refrain (sung twice):  Your loving loyalty is ever with us, Holy One.

1 I waited patiently upon the Lord *
         who stooped to me and heard my cry.
2 God lifted me out of the desolate pit, out of the mire and clay, *
         and set my feet on a high cliff and made my footing sure.
3 God put a new song in my mouth, *
         a song of praise to our God;
many shall see, and stand in awe, *
         and put their trust in the Lord.
4 Happy are they who trust in the Lord! *
         they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods.
5 Great things are they that you have done, O Lord my God! *
         how great your wonders and your plans for us! 
There is none who can be compared with you. *
         Oh, that I could make them known and tell them,
         but they are more than I can count.

Refrain:  Your loving loyalty is ever with us, Holy One.

6 In sacrifice and offering you take no pleasure *
         (you have given me ears to hear you);
         burnt-offering and sin-offering you have not required.
7 And so I said, “Behold, I come. *
         In the roll of the book it is written concerning me:
8 ‘I love to do your will, O my God; *
         your law is deep within my heart.’”
9 I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation; *
         behold, I did not restrain my lips; and that, O Lord, you know.
10 Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart; *
         I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance;
I have not concealed your love and faithfulness *
         from the great congregation.
11 You are the Lord; do not withhold your compassion from me; *
         let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever.

Refrain:  Your loving loyalty is ever with us, Holy One.

The Second Reading

A Reading from Paul’s First Letter to the Corinthians (1.1-9).

         Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and our brother Sosthenes,

         To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, together with all those who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord and ours:

         Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

         I give thanks to my God always for you because of the grace of God that has been given you in Christ Jesus, for in every way you have been enriched in him, in speech and knowledge of every kind — just as the testimony of Christ has been strengthened among you — so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ.  He will also strengthen you to the end, so that you may be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.  God is faithful; by him you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Hear what the Spirit is saying to the church.
Thanks be to God.

Gradual Hymn

‘Sing of Andrew, John’s Disciple’  Common Praise #273

The Gospel

The Lord be with you.
And also with you.
The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to John (1.29-42).
Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ.

         The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and declared, “Here is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!  This is he of whom I said, ‘After me comes a man who ranks ahead of me because he was before me.’  I myself did not know him; but I came baptizing with water for this reason, that he might be revealed to Israel.”  And John testified, “I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him.  I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain is the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’  And I myself have seen and have testified that this is the Son of God.”

         The next day John again was standing with two of his disciples, and as he watched Jesus walk by, he exclaimed, “Look, here is the Lamb of God!”  The two disciples heard him say this, and they followed Jesus.  When Jesus turned and saw them following, he said to them, “What are you looking for?”  They said to him, “Rabbi” (which translated means Teacher), “where are you staying?”  He said to them, “Come and see.”  They came and saw where he was staying, and they remained with him that day.  It was about four o’clock in the afternoon.  One of the two who heard John speak and followed him was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother.  He first found his brother Simon and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which is translated Anointed).  He brought Simon to Jesus, who looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John.  You are to be called Cephas” (which is translated Peter).

The Gospel of Christ.
Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ.

The Sermon

An Affirmation of Faith

The Deacon leads the Community in the affirmation of faith.

Let us affirm our faith.

You, O God, are supreme and holy.
You create our world and give us life.
Your purpose overarches everything we do.
You have always been with us.
You are God.

You, O God, are infinitely generous,
good beyond all measure.
You came to us before we came to you.
You have revealed and proved
your love for us in Jesus Christ,
who lived and died and rose again.
You are with us now.
You are God.

You, O God, are Holy Spirit.
You empower us to be our gospel in the world.
You reconcile and heal; you overcome death.

You are our God.  We worship you. [ii]

The Prayers of the Community

Intercessions, Petitions and Thanksgivings

The Exchange of the Peace

May the peace of Christ be always with you.
And also with you.

The Holy Communion

The Offertory Hymn

‘I Bind unto Myself Today’  Common Praise #436 vv. 1, 2, 5, 6

The Prayer over the Gifts

Good and loving God,
we rejoice in the birth of Jesus,
who came among the poor
to bring the riches of your grace.
As you have blessed us with your gifts,
let them be a blessing for others.
With the trees of the field,
with all earth and heaven,
we shout for joy at the coming of your Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen. [iii]

The Thanksgiving at the Table

The Lord be with you.
And also with you.
Lift up your hearts.
We lift them to the Lord.
Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.
It is right to give our thanks and praise.

Blessed are you, gracious God,
creator of heaven and earth;
by water and the Holy Spirit
you have made us a holy people
in Jesus Christ our Lord;
you renew that mystery in bread and wine and nourish us,
to show forth your glory in all the world.
Therefore with angels and archangels,
and with all the holy people
who have served you in every age,
we raise our voices to proclaim the glory of your name. [iv]

Holy, holy, holy Lord,
God of power and might,
heaven and earth are full of your glory.
Hosanna in the highest.

Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.
Hosanna in the highest. [v]

Holy One, the beginning and the end, the giver of life:
Blessed are you for the birth of creation.
Blessed are you in the darkness and in the light.
Blessed are you for your promise to your people.
Blessed are you for the prophets’ hopes and dreams.
Blessed are you for Mary and Joseph’s openness to your will.
Blessed are you for your Son, Jesus, the Word made flesh.

In the night in which he was betrayed,
our Lord Jesus took bread, and gave thanks;
broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying:
Take and eat; this is my body given for you.
Do this for the remembrance of me.

Again, after supper, he took the cup, gave thanks,
and gave it for all to drink, saying:
This cup is the new covenant in my blood,
shed for you and for all people for the forgiveness of sin.
Do this for the remembrance of me.

Let us proclaim the mystery of faith:
Christ has died.
Christ is risen.
Christ will come again.

With this bread and cup we remember
your Word dwelling among us, full of grace and truth.
We remember our new birth in his death and resurrection.
We look with hope for his coming.
Come, Lord Jesus.

Holy God, we long for your Spirit.
Come among us.  Bless this meal.
May your Word take flesh in us.
Awaken your people.  Fill us with your light.
Bring the gift of peace on earth.
Come, Holy Spirit.

All praise and glory are yours, Holy One of Israel,
Word of God incarnate, Power of the Most High,
one God, now and for ever.  Amen. [vi]

The Lord’s Prayer

As our Saviour taught us, let us pray,
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial,
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power,
and the glory are yours,
now and for ever.  Amen. [vii]

The Breaking of the Bread

We break the bread of life,
and that life is the light of the world
God here among us,
light in the midst of us,
bring us to light and life.

The gifts of God for the people of God.
Thanks be to God.

The Communion

Communion Hymn

‘You, Lord, Are Both Lamb and Shepherd’  Common Praise #630 vv. 1, 3, 4

The Sending Forth of the Community

Prayer after Communion

Radiant God,
with our eyes we have seen your salvation,
and in this meal we have feasted on your grace.
May your Word take flesh in us,
so that we may be your holy people,
revealing your glory made known to us
in Jesus Christ, our Saviour and Lord.  Amen. [viii]

Glory to God,
whose power, working in us,
can do infinitely more
than we can ask or imagine.
Glory to God from generation to generation,
in the Church and in Christ Jesus,
for ever and ever.  Amen.

Closing Hymn

‘I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say’  Common Praise #508

Dismissal

The Deacon or Assisting Minister sends the Community forth with an appropriate Dismissal.

Concluding Music




[i] Revised Common Lectionary Prayers (2002), 56 alt.

[ii] A New Zealand Prayer Book, New ed. (2005), 481.

[iii] ‘Trial Use Propers’ (Liturgy Task Force 2013).

[iv] ‘Third Preface of the Lord’s Day’, The Book of Alternative Services (1985), 218.

[v] Lang Carol Mass.

[vi] ‘Thanksgiving at the Table III’ in Evangelical Lutheran Worship (2006), 110 alt.

[vii] Common Praise #744.

[viii] ‘Trial Use Propers’ (Liturgy Task Force 2013).

No comments: