Saturday, October 8, 2011

Thanksgiving: A Remedy to Amnesia and Fear


RCL Thanksgiving A
9 October 2011

Saint Faith's Anglican Parish
Vancouver BC

+ All good gifts around us have been sent from heaven above.  So thank the Lord; thank the Lord for all his love.  Amen.

            Last week I broke the office shredder.  I tried to shred what I thought was some pretty light cardboard, but the shredder protested and ceased to function.  I tried to clear it, but despite all my efforts the machine was well and truly fried.  This posed a bit of a dilemma for me.

            Christine will tell you that I do a fair amount of shredding.  I do so for two reasons.  The first is that I find shredding more satisfying that just tearing up paper for recycling.  I don't know why, but I do.  The other reason is actually theological.

            Some of you know that I have been involved in Jewish-Christian dialogue for almost ten years now.  During those years I have learned three values that have lodged themselves deep into my being.

            1)  All of creation is holy.  It is only how we use or misuse God's gifts that makes those gifts blessings or banes.

            2)  Because all of creation is holy, we cannot make something more holy by blessing it.  When we bless something or someone, we actually are giving thanks to God for that person or object.  When we do this, the person or object is released into our midst to do what God intended that person or object to do and to be.

            3)  Because all of creation is holy, how we dispose of things that have been means of God's presence in our lives matters.  For that reason I find simply tearing up paper that has been printed with a scriptural text or prayer less than satisfactory.  I do not want someone to discover a scrap of paper on the floor or in the trash that contains words that are bearers of sacred meaning. 

Shredders are a gift and I am grateful for the minds that invented such helpful devices.  By means of them I can express my gratitude for the gift of sacred words by exercising care when I no longer need to use the paper upon which they are printed.  I am learning that a life lived in holiness is a life lived in gratitude at all times and in all places.

            One of the challenges that religious people face is living a life of gratitude in the midst of abundance.  While I have no desire to recommend a life of scarcity for any human being, I have to acknowledge the dangers of abundance.

            In Deuteronomy we hear words directed to the people of Israel during such a time of abundance.  Although the text is set in the context of the exodus journey through the wilderness, it is more likely that this version of the text was composed at a much later period when the people of Israel were tempted by their circumstances to forget how they came into the land and who was the source of all that they possessed.

            Corporate amnesia is one of the afflictions that abundance can inflict even upon religious people.  As important as our sweat and toil are in shaping our well-being, we cannot allow that sweat and toil to cause forgetfulness.  Many of the privileges and advantages I enjoy as a Canadian have come to me without my labour.  While my stewardship of those gifts and advantages is crucial to my life of faith, I dare not lose sight of their source:  the generosity of God who giving knows no ending.

            Corporate amnesia is not the only hazard of abundance.  When Paul writes to the Christians in Corinth, he is begging them to participate in an effort to provide financial support for the Christian community in Jerusalem who are suffering from drought, poverty and social exclusion.  In contrast to their sisters and brothers in Jerusalem, the Corinthians are living in relative security and abundance.

            Their abundance has led them to become tight-fisted, an attitude that you and I have seen as well.  In my travels to Asia and the Pacific, I have always found those who have little are the most generous in sharing what they have.  It is the wealthy who often, but not always, must be coaxed and curried into opening their wallets.  In our Diocese it was smaller congregations such as Saint Faith's whose contributions to the residential school settlement fund exceeded the asking.

            Corporate amnesia and tight-fistedness are the shadow side of the blessing of abundance.  What I have learned from the Jewish tradition is to give thanks to God for the abundance I have and, in the process, to seek the grace to release the gifts of which I have been given stewardship for God's purposes in my immediate community and beyond.

            Every year at this time we gather here to give thanks to God for the abundance of this fair land.  We decorate our church with symbols of our land's abundance and we offer our prayers of thanksgiving.  But there are greater things at work here.

            1)  Our thanksgiving celebration is a remedy for the corporate amnesia that can afflict even thoughtful and caring people.  By gathering here we are reminded that the source of all that we have, especially the knowledge and skills we use to steward the bounty we have, come from a generous God.

            2)  This remedy to amnesia may even ease the fears that can come upon us in challenging circumstances such as the circumstances in which we presently live.  When we are reminded and remember who is the source of all that we have and are, then we may find it easier to allow generosity to 'our better angel'.

            Dear friends in Christ, God has called us here to participate in a public work intended for the common good of all people.  Our prayers and praises are meant to equip us for the work God has given us to do here in our neighbourhoods and in the wider community. 

            All good things around us have come from heaven above.  So let us thank the Lord for all that we are and all that we have.  Let us never become so focused on our own efforts that we forget from whom all good things come.  Let us never be so fearful that we cannot respond as generously as our circumstances allow.  Let us rebuke the spectre of scarcity and embrace the abundance of God's love for us and for all creation so that we and all God's children may be free.  Amen.



            

No comments: