Sunday, December 4, 2011

Advent Vespers Revised


Evening Prayer for advent
From the First Sunday of Advent to Christmas Eve

Introductory Responses

Jesus Christ is the light of the world.
A light no darkness can extinguish.

Evening Prayer continues with the Thanksgiving for the Light.

Thanksgiving for the Light

Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.
It is right to give our thanks and praise.

Blessed are you, O Lord our God,
ruler of the universe, creator of light and darkness. 
In this holy season, when the sun’s light is swallowed up
by the growing darkness of the night,
you renew your promise to reveal among us the splendour of your glory,
enfleshed and visible to us in Jesus Christ your Son. 
Through the prophets you teach us to hope for his reign of peace. 
Through the outpouring of his Spirit,
you open our blindness to the glory of his presence. 
Strengthen us in our weakness. 
Support us in our stumbling efforts to do your will
and free our tongues to sing your praise. 
For to you all honour and blessing are due, now and for ever.  Amen.

Evening Prayer continues with the Psalm.

The Psalm

The Psalm of the Day or one of the following may be used.

Sundays in Advent                Psalm 30.1-5, 10-12
1 I will exalt you, O Lord, because you have lifted me up *
            and have not let my enemies triumph over me.
2 O Lord my God, I cried out to you, *
            and you restored me to health.
3 You brought me up, O Lord, from the dead; *
            you restored my life
            as I was going down to the grave.
4 Sing praise to the Lord, all you faithful; *
            give thanks in holy remembrance.
5 God’s wrath is short;
God’s favour lasts a lifetime. *
            Weeping spends the night,
            but joy comes in the morning.

10 Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me; *
            O Lord, be my helper.
11 You have turned my wailing into dancing; *
            you have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with joy.
12 Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing; *
            O Lord my God, I will give you thanks for ever.

God our God, glorious in giving and restoring life, do not hide your face from your people overcome with loneliness and fear.  Turn our mourning into dancing and raise us up so that we may rejoice in your presence for ever.  Amen.

Mondays in Advent               Psalm 20
1 May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble, *
            the name of the God of Jacob defend you;
2 send you help from the sanctuary *
            and strengthen you out of Zion;
3 may the Lord remember all your offerings *
            and accept your burnt sacrifice;
4 grant you your heart’s desire *
            and prosper all your plans.
5 We will shout for joy at your victory
and unfurl our banners in the name of our God; *
            may the Lord grant all your requests.
6 Now I know that the Lord gives victory to the anointed one; *
            God will answer out of holy heaven,
            gaining victory with a strong right hand.
7 Some trust in chariots and some in horses, *
            but we rely on the name of the Lord our God.
8 They collapse and fall down, *
            but we will arise and stand upright.
9 O Lord, give victory to the king *
            and answer us when we call.

God our hope and our defence, protect all those who call upon your name, that they may stand upright in the day of trouble and share in your victory.  Amen.

Tuesdays in Advent               Psalm 144
1 Blessed be the Lord my rock, *
who trains my hands to fight and my fingers to battle;
2 my help and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, *
my shield in whom I trust,
who subdues the peoples under me.
3 O Lord, what are human beings that you should care for us, *
mere mortals that you should think of us?
4 We are like a puff of wind; *
our days are like a passing shadow.
5 Bow your heavens, O LORD, and come down;*
touch the mountains, and they shall smoke.
6 Hurl the lightning and scatter them; *
shoot out your arrows and rout them.
7 Stretch out your hand from on high; *
rescue me and deliver me from the great waters,
from the hand of foreign peoples,
8 whose mouths speak deceitfully *
and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
9 O God, I will sing to you a new song; *
I will play to you on a ten-stringed lyre.
10 You give victory to rulers *
and have rescued David your servant.
11 Rescue me from the hurtful sword and deliver me
from the hand of foreign peoples, *
whose mouths speak deceitfully
and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
12 May our sons be like plants well nurtured from their youth, *
and our daughters like sculptured corners of a palace.
13 May our barns be filled with crops of every kind; *
may the flocks in our pastures
increase by thousands and tens of thousands.
14 May our cattle be fat and sleek; *
may there be no breaching of the walls,
no going into exile, no wailing in the public squares.
15 Happy are the people of whom this is so! *
Happy are the people whose God is the Lord!

Generous and bountiful God, give compassion to the prosperous and comfort to the needy, that all people may come to love and praise you.  Amen.

Wednesdays in Advent          Psalm 11
1 In the Lord I have taken refuge; *
how then can you say to me,
“Fly away like a bird to the hilltop;
2 for see how the wicked string the bow
and fit their arrows to the string, *
to shoot from the shadows at the true of heart.
3 When the foundations are being destroyed, *
what can the righteous do?”
4 The Lord is in the holy temple, enthroned in heaven. *
God’s eyes keep careful watch, they weigh our worth.
5 The Lord tests both righteous and wicked *
but abhors those who love violence.
6 Upon the wicked God shall rain coals of fire and burning sulphur;
a scorching wind shall be their lot.
7 For the Lord is righteous, delighting in righteous deeds; *
and the just shall see God’s face.

God our refuge, deliver us from violence and evil, and guide us in the paths of righteousness, that on  the day of judgement we may rejoice to see you face to face; Amen.

Thursdays in Advent             Psalm 12
1 Help me, Lord, for there is no godly one left; *
the faithful have vanished from among us.
2 People tell lies to each other;
they use smooth words but speak from a double heart.
3 May the Lord cut off all lips that flatter, *
and the tongues that speak boastfully ---
4 those who say, “With our tongue will we prevail; *
our lips are our own; who is lord over us?”
5 “Because the needy are oppressed, and the poor cry out in misery, *
I will rise up,” says the Lord,
“and give them the help they long for.”
6 The words of the Lord are pure, *
like silver refined from ore
and purified seven times in the fire.
7 O Lord, watch over us *
and save us from this generation forever.
8 The wicked prowl on every side, *
and everyone prizes that which is worthless.

God of truth, protector of your people, come to the aid of all who are poor and oppressed.  By the power of your life-giving word lead us in the ways of peace and integrity, and give us the help we long for.  Amen.

Fridays in Advent                  Psalm 42
1 As the deer longs for the water-brooks, *
so longs my soul for you, O God.
2 I thirst for God, for the living God; *
when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
3 My tears have been my food day and night, *
while all day long they say to me, “Where now is your God?”
4 I pour out my soul when I think on these things; *
how I went with the multitude
and led them into the house of God,
with shouts of thanksgiving, among those keeping festival.
5 Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul,
and why are you so disquieted within me? *
Put your trust in God, for I will yet give thanks
to the one who is my help and my God.
6 My soul is heavy within me; *
therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.
7 One deep calls to another in the roar of your cascades; *
all your rapids and floods have gone over me.
8 The Lord grants loving-kindness in the daytime; *
in the night season the Lord’s song is with me,
a prayer to the God of my life.
9 I will say to the God of my strength, ”Why have you rejected me, *
and why do I wander in such gloom
while the enemy oppresses me?”
10 While my bones are being broken, my enemies mock me to my face; *
all day long they mock me and say to me,
“Where now is your God?”
11 Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul,
and why are you so disquieted within me? *
Put your trust in God, for I will yet give thanks
to the one who is my help and my God.

Gracious God, in the night of distress we forget the days of sun and joy.  Even when we do not know your presence, preserve us from the dark torrent of despair. Amen.

Saturdays in Advent              Psalm 130
1 Out of the depths *
I cry to you, O Lord:
2 O Lord, hear my voice! *
Let your ears be attentive to the voice of my supplication.
3 If you were to keep watch over sins, *
O Lord, who could stand?
4 Yet with you is forgiveness, *
in order that you may be feared.
5 I wait for you, O Lord; my soul waits;
in your word is my hope.
6 My soul waits for the Lord
more than whose who keep watch for the morning, *
more than those who keep watch for the morning.
7 O Israel, wait for the Lord, for with the Lord there is steadfast love; *
with the Lord there is plenteous redemption.
8 For the Lord shall redeem Israel *
from all their sins.

Rescue us, O God for whom we wait, from the depths of depression and despair.  May we trust in your mercy, know the fullness of your redemption, and share in the glory of your reign.  Amen.

Evening Prayer continues with the Reading.

The Reading

A Reading from a daily lectionary or one of the following may be used.

Sundays in Advent                Hebrews 11.1-3
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.  Indeed, by faith our ancestors received approval.  By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was made from things that are not visible.

Mondays in Advent               Matthew 12.33, 35-37
Jesus said, “Either make the tree good, and its fruit good; or make the tree bad, and its fruit bad; for the tree is known by its fruit.  The good person brings good things out of a good treasure, and the evil person brings evil things out of an evil treasure.  I tell you, on the day of judgement you will have to give an account for every careless word you utter; for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Tuesdays in Advent               Galatians 4.4-7
When the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, in order to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as children.  And because you are children, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba!  Father!”  So you are no longer a slave but a child, and if a child then also an heir, through God.

Wednesdays in Advent          2 Corinthians 4.16-18
So we do not lose heart.  Even though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day.  For this slight momentary affliction is preparing us for an eternal weight of glory beyond all measure, because we look not at what can be seen but at what cannot be seen; for what can be seen in temporary, but what cannot be seen is eternal.

Thursdays in Advent             Ephesians 4.14-19
For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth takes its name.  I pray that, according to the riches of his glory, he may grant that you may be strengthened in your inner being with power through his Spirit, and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith, as you are being rooted and grounded in love.  I pray that you may have the power to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

Fridays in Advent                  Philippians 3.12-14
Not that I have already obtained this or have already reached the goal; but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.  Beloved, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but this one thing I do:  forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus.

Saturdays in Advent              Romans 8.22-25
We know that the whole creation has been groaning in labour pains until now; and not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly while we wait for adoption, the redemption of our bodies.  For in hope we were saved.  Now hope that is seen is not hope.  For who hopes for what is seen?  But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.

After a period of silent reflection one of the following is said.

The word of the Lord.
Thanks be to God.
or
Here what the Spirit is saying to the church.
Thanks be to God.
or
Holy Word, Holy Wisdom.
Thanks be to God.

Evening Prayer continues with the Responsory or the Canticle.

The Responsory

My soul waits for you, O Lord; *
in your word is my hope.

My soul waits for you, O Lord; *
in your word is my hope.

Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;
Lord, hear my voice. *
In your word is my hope.

There is forgiveness with you;
therefore you shall be feared. *
In your word is my hope.

My soul waits for the Lord,
more than those who watch for the morning. *
In your word is my hope.

O Israel, wait for the Lord,
for with the Lord there is mercy. *
In your word is my hope.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. *
My soul waits for you, O Lord;
in your word is my hope.
or
Glory to God, Source of all being, eternal Word and Holy Spirit. *
My soul waits for you, O Lord;
in your word is my hope.

Evening Prayer continues with the Canticle.

The Canticle

Song of the Multitude in Heaven (Revelation 19.1, 2, 5-7)

Alleluia!  To you, O God, belong victory, glory, and power,*
for right and just are your judgements.
All who serve you will praise you, *
all who fear you, great and small.
Alleluia!  You, O Lord God almighty, *
have claimed your kingdom.
Let us rejoice and triumph and give you praise: *
the time has come for the wedding-feast of the Lamb.

Glory to God, Source of all being, eternal Word and Holy Spirit:
as it was in the beginning, is now and will be for ever.   Amen.
or
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit:
as it was in the beginning, is now and will be for ever.  Amen.

Evening Prayer continues with the Affirmation of Faith or the Litany.

Affirmation of Faith

Either of the following may be said.

The Apostles’ Creed
I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ, God’s only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended to the dead.
On the third day he rose again;
he ascended into heaven,
he is seated at the right hand of the Father,
and he will come again to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting.  Amen.

Hear, O Israel
Hear, O Israel,
the Lord our God, the Lord is one.
Love the Lord your God
with all your heart,
with all your soul,
with all your mind,
and with all your strength.

This is the first and the great commandment.
The second is like it: 
Love your neighbour as yourself.

There is no commandment greater than these.

Evening Prayer continues with the Litany.

The Litany

Let us pray to the One who brings light into our darkness, saying, “Lord, have mercy.”

God of light, may your Anointed One rouse us from sleep and make us attentive to the nearness of his presence.  Lord, have mercy.

May we discover your word in every sound of this world, your touch in every human embrace and your love in every gesture of self-sacrifice among us.  Lord, have mercy.

May your holy grace bring our hearts to vigilance and make us see with uncovered eyes the Christ who suffers in the agonies of all humanity.  Lord, have mercy.

May we recognize that Christ is with us to make our prayers his own.  Lord, have mercy.

May your coming into the days and years of human history be always new and always brimming with light to drive all darkness away.  Lord, have mercy.

Free prayer may be offered and silence is kept.  After the silence the Collect of the Day or the following collects may be said.

O God of all the prophets, you herald the coming of our Messiah by wondrous signs in the heavens and on the earth.  Guard our hearts from despair so that we, in the company of the faithful and by the power of your Holy Spirit, may be found ready to raise our heads at the coming near of our redemption, the day of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

Evening Prayer continues with the Lord’s Prayer.

The Lord’s Prayer

Gathering our prayers and praises into one,
let us pray as our Saviour taught us,
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven. 
Give us today our daily bread. 
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us. 
Save us from the time of trial,
and deliver us from evil. 
For the kingdom, the power,
and the glory are yours,
now and for ever.  Amen.

Evening Prayer continues with the Dismissal.

The Dismissal

Let us bless the Lord who comes among us.
Thanks be to God.

Then may be said.

May the Sun of Righteousness shine upon us and scatter the darkness from before our path.  Amen.

Liturgical Resources Used

All scriptural passages are taken from the New Revised Standard Version, © 1989 by The National Council of Churches.

All Psalms are taken from Evangelical Lutheran Worship, © 2006 by The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and emended for Canadian orthography

All other liturgical texts including the Psalm Prayers are taken from The Book of Alternative Services, © 1985 by  The Anglican Church of Canada as emended by the Rev’d Dr Richard Geoffrey Leggett.

The Litany is taken from Intercessions for the Christian People, p. 73 © by The Liturgical Press, 1988, 1990 and emended by the Rev’d Dr Richard Geoffrey Leggett.

The prayer following the Litany is taken from Revised Common Lectionary Prayers, p. 29 © 2002 by The Consultation on Common Texts.

The doxology is adapted from The Book of Occasional Services 2003, p. 23 © 2004 by The Church Pension Fund.

No comments: