Tuesday, April 3, 2012

An Ordo for Good Friday 2012


Good Friday Liturgy
22 April 2011

Gathering of the Community

In silence the Cross is brought in and placed before the altar.  The ministers and congregation keep silence.

Introductory Responses

This is the wood of the cross,
on which hung the Saviour of the world.
Come let us worship.

Christ the Lord became obedient unto death,
even death on a cross.

All we like sheep have gone astray;
we have all turned to our own way,
and the Lord has laid on Christ
the iniquity of us all.

Silence is kept.

Almighty God,
our heavenly Father,
we have sinned in thought and word and deed;
we have not loved you with our whole heart;
we have not loved our neighbours as ourselves. 
We pray you of your mercy, forgive us all that is past,
and grant that we may serve you in newness of life
to the glory of your name.  Amen.

The Collect of the Day

The Lord be with you.
And also with you.
Let us pray.

O Holy and Immortal One,
we veil our faces before your glory,
and bow before the cross of your wounded Christ. 
With angels and archangels, we praise you, our Mercy,
and we bless you, our Compassion,
for in our brokenness you have not abandoned us. 
Hear us as we pray through Jesus, our high priest: 
heal all division, reconcile the estranged,
console the suffering, and raise up to new life
all that is bound by death.  Amen.

The Proclamation of the Word of God

The First Reading

Isaiah 52.13-53.12

The Psalm

Psalm 22 in Songs for the Holy One

The Second Reading

Hebrews 10.16-25

The Gospel

John 18.1-19.42

Sermon

Hymn

‘People Draw Near to God in Their Distress’  Common Praise #201

The Prayers of the Community

The Solemn Intercessions

Dear people of God,
our heavenly Father sent his Son into the world,
not to condemn the world,
but that the world through him might be saved,
that all who believe in him
might be delivered from the power of sin and death
and become heirs with him of eternal life.

The people are directed to stand, sit or kneel.

Let us pray for the one holy catholic
and apostolic Church throughout the world:

for its unity in witness and service,
for all bishops and other ministers
and the people whom they serve,
for Michael our bishop,
and all the people of this diocese,
for Gregory, the bishop of the British Columbia Synod
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada,
and all the people of that synod,
for all Christians in this community,
for those about to be baptized

that the Lord will confirm the Church in faith,
increase it in love,
and preserve it in peace.

Silence

Almighty and everlasting God,
by your Spirit the whole body of your faithful people
is governed and sanctified.
Receive our supplications and prayers
which we offer before you
for all members of your holy Church,
that in our vocation and ministry
we may truly and devoutly serve you;
through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.  Amen.

Let us pray for all nations and peoples of the earth,
and for those in authority among them:

For Elizabeth our Queen and all the Royal Family,
for Stephen the Prime Minister
and for the government of this country,
for Christy the premier of this province
and the members of the legislature,
for the mayors of municipalities of Metro Vancouver
and those who serve with them
in the various councils and boards,
for all who serve the common good,

that by God’s help
they may seek justice and truth,
and live in peace and concord.

Silence

Almighty God,
kindle, we pray, in every heart
the true love of peace,
and guide with your wisdom
those who take counsel for the nations of the earth,
that justice and peace may increase,
until the earth is filled
with the knowledge of your love;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

Let us pray for all who suffer
and are afflicted in body or in mind:

for the hungry and homeless,
the destitute and the oppressed,
and all who suffer persecution or prejudice,
for the sick, the wounded, and the handicapped,
for those in loneliness, fear, and anguish,
for those who face temptation, doubt, and despair,
for the sorrowful and bereaved,
for prisoners and captives
and those in mortal danger,

that God, in mercy, will comfort and relieve them,
and grant them the knowledge of the divine love,
and stir up in us the will and patience
to minister to their needs.

Silence

Gracious God,
the comfort of all who sorrow,
the strength of all who suffer,
hear the cry of those in misery and need.
In their afflictions show them your mercy
and give us, we pray, the strength to serve them,
for the sake of him who suffered for us,
your Son Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

Let us pray for all
who have not received the gospel of Christ:

for all who have not heard the words of salvation,
for all who have lost their faith,
for all whose sin has made them indifferent to Christ,
for all who actively oppose Christ by word or deed,
for all who are enemies of the cross of Christ,
and persecutors of his disciples,
for all who in the name of Christ
have persecuted others,

that God will open their hearts to the truth,
and lead them to faith and obedience.

Silence

Merciful God,
creator of the peoples of the earth and lover of souls,
have compassion on all who do not know you
as you are revealed in your Son Jesus Christ.
Let your gospel be preached with grace and power
to those who have not heard it,
turn the hearts of those who resist it,
and bring home to your fold those who have gone astray;
that there may be one flock under one shepherd,
Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

Let us commit ourselves to God,
and pray for the grace of a holy life,
that with all who have departed this life
and have died in the peace of Christ,
and those whose faith is known to God alone,
we may be accounted worthy
to enter into the fullness of the joy of our Lord,
and receive the crown of life in the day of resurrection.

Silence

O God of unchangeable power and eternal light,
look favourably on your whole Church,
that wonderful and sacred mystery.
By the effectual working of your providence,
carry out in tranquillity the plan of salvation.
Let the whole world see and know
that things which were cast down are being raised up,
and that all things are being brought to their perfection
by him through whom all things were made,
your Son Jesus Christ our Lord;
who lives and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.  Amen.

Anthem 1 with sung refrain 

Is it nothing to you, all you who pass by?
Look and see if there is any sorrow like my sorrow
which was brought upon me,
which the Lord inflicted on the day of his fierce anger.

Holy God, holy and mighty,
holy and immortal one, have mercy upon us.
(Common Praise #707)

O my people, O my Church,
What have I done to you,
or in what have I offended you?
Testify against me.
I led you forth from the land of Egypt,
and delivered you by the waters of baptism,
but you have prepared a cross for your Saviour.

Holy God, holy and mighty,
holy and immortal one, have mercy upon us.

I led you through the desert forty years,
and fed you with manna.
I brought you through tribulation and penitence,
and gave you my body, the bread of heaven,
but you have prepared a cross for your Saviour.

Holy God, holy and mighty,
holy and immortal one, have mercy upon us.

What more could I have done for you
that I have not done?
I planted you, my chosen and fairest vineyard,
I made you the branches of my vine;
but when I was thirsty, you gave me vinegar to drink,
and pierced with a spear the side of your Saviour.

Holy God, holy and mighty,
holy and immortal one, have mercy upon us.

I went before you in a pillar of cloud,
and you have led me to the judgement hall of Pilate.
I scourged your enemies and brought you
to a land of freedom,
but you have scourged, mocked, and beaten me.
I gave you the water of salvation from the rock,
but you have given me gall and left me to thirst.

Holy God, holy and mighty,
holy and immortal one, have mercy upon us.

I gave you a royal sceptre,
and bestowed the keys to the kingdom,
but you have given me a crown of thorns.
I raised you on high with great power,
but you have hanged me on the cross.

Holy God, holy and mighty,
holy and immortal one, have mercy upon us.

My peace I gave, which the world cannot give,
and washed your feet as a sign of my love,
but you draw the sword to strike in my name,
and seek high places in my kingdom.
I offered you my body and blood,
but you scatter and deny and abandon me.

Holy God, holy and mighty,
holy and immortal one, have mercy upon us.

I sent the Spirit of truth to guide you,
and you close your hearts to the Counsellor.
I pray that all may be as one in the Father and me,
but you continue to quarrel and divide.
I call you to go and bring forth fruit,
but you cast lots for my clothing.

Holy God, holy and mighty,
holy and immortal one, have mercy upon us.

I grafted you into the tree of my chosen Israel,
and you turned on them with persecution
and mass murder.
I made you joint heirs with them of my covenants,
but you made them scapegoats for your own guilt.

Holy God, holy and mighty,
holy and immortal one, have mercy upon us.

I came to you as the least of your brothers and sisters;
I was hungry and you gave me no food,
I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,
I was a stranger and you did not welcome me,
naked and you did not clothe me,
sick and in prison and you did not visit me.

Holy God, holy and mighty,
holy and immortal one, have mercy upon us.

Hymn

‘Were You There’  Common Praise #192 vv. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

The Holy Communion

The Preparation of the Table

The Lord’s Prayer

As our Saviour taught us, let us pray.
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial,
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom the power,
and the glory are yours,
now and for ever.  Amen.

Communion

Prayer after Communion

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God,
we pray you to set your passion, cross, and death
between your judgement and our souls,
now and in the hour of our death. 
Give mercy and grace to the living,
pardon and rest to the dead,
to your holy Church peace and concord,
and to us sinners everlasting life and glory;
for with the Father and the Holy Spirit,
you live and reign, one God, now and for ever.  Amen.

Prayer over the People

Send down your abundant blessing, Lord, upon your people
who have devoutly recalled the death of your Son
in the sure and certain hope of the resurrection. 
Grant them pardon; bring them comfort. 
May their faith grow stronger
and their eternal salvation be assured. 
We ask this through Christ our Lord.  Amen.

The community departs in silence.

No comments: