Sunday, June 29, 2014

Memory as Anamnesis not Nostalgia: A Sermon for the Feast of Saint Petet and Saint Paul (29 Jun 2014)

Dear Friends,

I am sorry that you do not have a text for today's sermon at Saint Faith's.  As sometimes happens, the events of the past week made it difficult to sit down and write in any organized way.

My thoughts this week centre on memory and its place in the Christian life of faith.  My colleague, Malcolm French, unintentionally touched on my topic when, in a Twitter message, he repeated an oft-repeated phrase that 'the church often confuses nostalgia with anamnesis'.

So, if you are interested, click on the link below to listen to my thoughts as shared with the congregation at the 10.00 a.m. eucharist at Saint Faith's:


I will be away for the month of July and returning to preach at Saint Faith's on 3 August 2014.  In the meantime I do intend to offer a few thoughts each week on the lectionary for Sundays.  Here's hoping I carry through with my intention.

Blessings to one and to all,

Richard+
29 June 2014

No comments: