Monday, March 30, 2015

A Liturgy for Holy Saturday (4 April 2015)

One of the most neglected services of the Three Holy Days (the Triduum) is Morning Prayer on Holy Saturday, the Great Sabbath, when Christ rested in the tomb.  It is the custom of Saint Faith's to decorate the church for Easter on Holy Saturday morning.  Before the decorating begins, the Community gathers to remember Christ in the tomb.

The Liturgy that follows the provisions of 'Morning Prayer for Passiontide', a trial use liturgy prepared by the Liturgy Task Force and available at 'Morning and Evening Prayer for Passiontide' (PDF).

Holy Saturday
4 April 2015

Introductory Responses

Christ became obedient unto death for us,
even death upon a cross.
He was pierced for our sins,
bruised for no fault but ours
His punishment has won our peace,
and by his wounds we are healed.
Worthy is the Lamb that was slain
to receive power and riches and wisdom,
strength, honour, glory and praise.  Amen.

The Psalm:  Psalm 31.1-4, 15-16

1 In you, O Lord, have I taken refuge;
let me never be put to shame; *
            deliver me in your righteousness.
2 Incline your ear to me; *
            make haste to deliver me.
3 Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe, *
            for you are my crag and my stronghold;
for the sake of your name, *
            lead me and guide me.
4 Take me out of the net that they have secretly set for me, *
            for you are my tower of strength.
15 My times are in your hand; *
            rescue me from the hand of my enemies,
            and from those who persecute me.
16 Make your face to shine upon your servant, *
            and in your loving-kindness save me.

The First Reading:  Job 14.1-14

After the Reading the following is said.

Hear what the Spirit is saying to the church.
Thanks be to God.

The Responsory

We adore you, O Christ, and we bless you;
by your holy cross, you have redeemed the world
God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong.
We adore you, O Christ, and we bless you.
We preach Christ crucified,
the power of God and the wisdom of God.
By your holy cross, you have redeemed the world.
God forbid that I should glory,
save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.
We adore you, O Christ, and we bless you;
by your holy cross, you have redeemed the world.

The Second Reading:  John 19.38-42

After the Reading the following is said.

Hear what the Spirit is saying to the church.
Thanks be to God.

The Canticle:  A Song of Jonah (Jonah 2.2-7, 9)

I called to you, O God, out of my distress *
            and you answered me;
out of the belly of Sheol I cried, *
            and you heard my voice.
You cast me into the deep, *
            into the heart of the seas,
and the flood surrounded me, *
            all your waves and billows passed over me.
Then I said, I am driven away from your sight: *
            how shall I ever look again upon your holy temple?
The waters closed in over me, *
            the deep was round about me;
weeds were wrapped around my head *
            at the roots of the mountains.
I went down to the land whose bars closed on me for ever, *
            yet you brought up my life from the depths, O God.
As my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, O God, *
            and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple
With the voice of thanksgiving, I will sacrifice to you; *
            what I have vowed I will pay:
            deliverance belongs to the Lord!

The Litany

With faith and love and in union with Christ,
let us offer our prayers before the throne of grace, saying,
‘God of the deep, hear our prayer.’

Have mercy on your people, for whom your Son laid down his life.
God of the deep, hear our prayer.

Bring healing and wholeness to people and nations,
and have pity on those torn apart by division.
God of the deep, hear our prayer.

Strengthen all who are persecuted for your name’s sake,
and deliver them from evil.
God of the deep, hear our prayer.

Look in mercy upon all who suffer,
and hear those who cry out in pain and desolation.
God of the deep, hear our prayer.

Bring comfort to the dying,
and gladden their hearts with the vision of your glory.
God of the deep, hear our prayer.

Give rest to the departed
and bring them, with your saints, to glory everlasting.
God of the deep, hear our prayer.

After a period of silence the following collect is said.

Compassionate God, your love finds full expression in the gift of Jesus Christ your Son, who willingly met betrayal and death to set us free from sin.  Give us courage to live obediently in these days until we greet the glory of our risen Saviour.  Amen.

The Lord’s Prayer

Standing at the foot of the cross
and gathering our prayers and praises into one,
let us pray as our Saviour taught us,
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial,
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power,
and the glory are yours,
now and for ever.  Amen.

The Dismissal

Let us bless the Lord.
Thanks be to God.

May Christ, who bore our sins on the cross, set us free to serve with him in joy.  Amen.


No comments: