Sunday, March 11, 2018

An Ordo for Lent 5 (RCL Lent 5B, 18 March 2018)

The Fourth Sunday in Lent

18 March 2018


The Gathering of the Community


Gathering Music


Announcements


Greeting


Blessed be the Lord day by day,
the God of our salvation,
who bears our burdens.

Confession


Before I take the body of my Lord,
before I share his life in bread and wine,
I recognise the sorry things within ---
these I lay down.

The words of hope I often failed to give,
the prayers of kindness buried by my pride,
the signs of care I argued out of sight,
these I lay down.

The narrowness of vision and of mind,
the need for other folk to serve my will,
and every word and silence meant to hurt,
these I lay down.

Of those around in whom I meet my Lord,
I ask their pardon and I grant them mine
that every contradiction to Christ’s peace
might be laid down.

Lord Jesus Christ, companion at this feast,
I empty now my heart and stretch my hands,
and ask to meet you here in bread and wine ---
which you lay down. [1]

Absolution


May the God of all mercies
cleanse you from your sins,
and restore you in the divine image
to the praise and glory of God’s holy name,
through Jesus our Redeemer.  Amen.[2]

The Collect of the Day


The Lord be with you.
And also with you.
Let us pray.

God of suffering and glory,
in Jesus Christ you reveal the way of life
through the path of obedience.
Write your law on our hearts,
so that we may not stray from you,
but be your people.  Amen. [3]

The Proclamation of the Word


The First Reading:  Jeremiah 31.31-34


A reading from the prophet Jeremiah.

            31.31 The days are surely coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah.  32 It will not be like the covenant that I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt — a covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, says the Lord.  33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord:  I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.  34 No longer shall they teach one another, or say to each other, “Know the Lord,” for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, says the Lord; for I will forgive their iniquity, and remember their sin no more.

Hear what the Spirit is saying to the church.
Thanks be to God.

The Psalm:  Psalm 119.9-16


Psalm 119.9-16 from Songs for the Holy One

Refrain (sung twice):  Holy One, teach us your way, and help walk in it.

How can young people lead clean lives?
By obeying your word!
With all my heart I look to you;
do not let me stray from your commandments.
In my heart I treasure your promise,
for fear I sin against you.

Refrain:  Holy One, teach us your way, and help us walk in it.

Blessed are you, Holy One!
Teach me your laws!
With my lips I recite
all the rules you utter.
More than in all riches,
I joy in following your decrees.
I meditate on your precepts;
I contemplate your ways.
I delight in your laws;
I do not forget your word.

Refrain:  Holy One, teach us your way, and help us walk in it.

The Second Reading:  Hebrews 5.5-10


A reading from the letter to the Hebrews.

            5.5 So also Christ did not glorify himself in becoming a high priest, but was appointed by the one who said to him, “You are my Son, today I have begotten you”; 6 as he says also in another place, “You are a priest forever, according to the order of Melchizedek.”

            7 In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to the one who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.  8 Although he was a Son, he learned obedience through what he suffered; 9 and having been made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him, 10 having been designated by God a high priest according to the order of Melchizedek.

Hear what the Spirit is saying to the Church.
Thanks be to God.

Hymn before the Gospel


‘Tree of Life and Awesome Mystery’  Common Praise #179 v. 5

The Gospel:  John 12.20-33


The Lord be with you.
And also with you.
The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to John.
Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ.

            12.20 Now among those who went up to worship at the festival were some Greeks.  21 They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and said to him, “Sir, we wish to see Jesus.”  22 Philip went and told Andrew; then Andrew and Philip went and told Jesus.  23 Jesus answered them, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified.  24 Very truly, I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.  25 Those who love their life lose it, and those who hate their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.  26 Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there will my servant be also. Whoever serves me, the Father will honor.

            27 “Now my soul is troubled. And what should I say — ‘Father, save me from this hour’?  No, it is for this reason that I have come to this hour.  28 Father, glorify your name.” Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.”  29 The crowd standing there heard it and said that it was thunder.  Others said, “An angel has spoken to him.”  30 Jesus answered, “This voice has come for your sake, not for mine.  31 Now is the judgement of this world; now the ruler of this world will be driven out.  32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.”  33 He said this to indicate the kind of death he was to die.

The Gospel of Christ.
Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ.

The Hymn after the Gospel


‘Tree of Life and Awesome Mystery’  Common Praise #179 v. 6f

The Sermon


The Affirmation of Faith


Let us affirm our faith.

We believe and trust in God the Author of creation,
source of all being and life, the one for whom we exist.

We believe and trust in God the Word of redemption,
who took our human nature, died for us and rose again.

We believe and trust in God the Spirit of wisdom,
who gives life to all people and makes Christ known in the world.

We believe and trust in one God:
Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  Amen. [4]

The Prayers of the Community


Intercessions, Petitions and Thanksgivings


The Exchange of the Peace


The peace of the Lord be always with you.
And also with you.

The Holy Communion


The Offertory Hymn


‘There’s a Wideness in God’s Mercy’  Common Praise #606

Prayer over the Gifts


Let us pray.

God our provider,
you have not fed us with bread alone,
but with words of grace and life.
Bless us and these your gifts,
which we receive through your bounty,
through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen. [5]

The Great Thanksgiving


The Lord be with you.
And also with you.
Lift up your hearts.
We lift them to the Lord.
Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.
It is right to give our thanks and praise.

Blessed are you, gracious God,
creator of heaven and earth;
because you bid your faithful people to cleanse their hearts
and to prepare with joy for the paschal feast;
so that reborn through the waters of baptism
and renewed in the eucharistic mystery,
we may be more fervent in prayer
and more generous in the works of love. 
Therefore we raise our voices to you in praise
to proclaim the glory of your name. [6]

Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might,
heaven and earth are full of your glory. 
Hosanna in the highest.

Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. 
Hosanna in the highest. [7]

Blessed are you, gracious God,
creator of the universe and giver of life. 
You formed us in your own image
and called us to dwell in your infinite love. 
You gave the world into our care
so that we might be your faithful stewards
and show forth your bountiful grace.

But we failed to honour your image in one another and in ourselves;
we would not see your goodness in the world around us;
and so we violated your creation,
abused one another and rejected your love. 
Yet you never ceased to care for us
and prepared a way of salvation for all people.

Through Abraham and Sarah you called us into covenant with you. 
You delivered us from slavery,
sustained us in the wilderness
and raised up prophets to renew your promise of salvation. 
Then, in the fullness of time,
you sent your eternal Word, made mortal flesh in Jesus. 
Born into a human family and dwelling among us,
he revealed your glory.
Giving himself freely to death on the cross,
he triumphed over evil, opening the way of freedom and life.

On the night before he died for us,
our Saviour Jesus Christ took bread,
and when he had given thanks to you,
he broke it, and gave it to his friends, and said: 
‘Take, eat:  this is my body which is given for you. 
Do this for the remembrance of me.’

As supper was ending, Jesus took the cup of wine,
and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, and said: 
‘Drink this all of you:  this is my blood of the new covenant,
which is poured out for you and for all for the forgiveness of sins. 
Whenever you drink it, do this for the remembrance of me.’

Therefore we proclaim the mystery of faith: 

Christ has died. 
Christ is risen. 
Christ will come again.

Remembering his death and resurrection,
we now present to you from your creation this bread and this wine. 
By your Holy Spirit may they be for us the body and blood of our Saviour Jesus Christ. 
Grant that we who share these gifts may be filled with the Holy Spirit
and live as Christ’s body in the world. 
Bring us into the everlasting heritage of your daughters and sons,
so that with all your saints, past, present and yet to come,
we may praise your name for ever.

Through Christ and with Christ and in Christ,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
to you be honour, glory and praise,
for ever and ever.  Amen. [8]

The Lord’s Prayer


As our Saviour taught us, let us pray,
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial,
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power,
and the glory are yours,
now and for ever.  Amen.

The Breaking of the Bread


Jesus, Lamb of God,
have mercy on us.
Jesus, bearer of our sins,
have mercy on us.
Jesus, redeemer of the world,
give us your peace. [9]

The Communion of the Community


The Hymn after Communion


‘Our Father, We Have Wandered’  Common Praise #611

The Sending Forth of the Community


Prayer after Communion


Let us pray.

Compassionate God,
you have fed us with the bread of heaven.
Sustain us in our Lenten pilgrimage:
may our fasting be hunger for justice;
our alms, a making of peace;
and our prayer, the song of grateful hearts,
through Jesus Christ, our Saviour and Lord.  Amen. [10]

The Prayer over the People


Look with compassion, O God of mercy,
upon this your people;
so that, rightly observing this holy season,
they may learn to know you more fully,
and to serve you with a more perfect will; Christ our Lord.  Amen. [11]

The Closing Hymn


‘She Comes Sailing on the Wind’  Common Praise #656 (Ref., 1, 2, Ref., 3, 4, Ref., 5, Ref.)

The Dismissal


Go forth to reveal the presence of Christ to the world.
Thanks be to God. [12]

[1] Common Praise (1998), #610.

[2] Common Worship (2000), 135 alt.

[4] Common Worship (2000), 144 alt.

[5] Evangelical Lutheran Worship (2006), 64.

[6] The Book of Alternative Services (1985), 220.

[7] Common Praise (1998), #735.

[8] Enriching Our Worship 1 (1998), 57-59 alt.

[9] Common Praise (1998), #747.

[10] Evangelical Lutheran Worship (2006), 65 alt.

[11] The Book of Occasional Services (2003), 26 alt.

[12] The Rev’d Dr Richard Geoffrey Leggett (2018).

No comments: