Monday, January 9, 2017

An Ordo for the Second Sunday after Epiphany (RCL Proper 2A, 15 January 2017)

The Second Sunday after Epiphany
15 January 2017

The Gathering of the Community

Gathering Music

Announcements

Opening Hymn

‘Here in This Place New Light Is Streaming’  Common Praise #465

Introductory Responses

Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,
may all the earth be filled with the glory of God.
Light has sprung up for the righteous,
and joyful gladness for those who are true in heart. [i]

The Collect for Purity

Almighty God,
to you all hearts are open,
all desires known,
and from you no secrets are hidden.
Cleanse the thoughts of our hearts
by the inspiration of your Holy Spirit,
that we may perfectly love you,
and worthily magnify your holy name;
through Christ our Lord.  Amen.

The Hymn of Praise

‘Alleluia!  Glory to God’  Common Praise #457 vv. 1, 2, 6

The Collect of the Day

Let us pray.

Holy God,
our strength and our redeemer,
by your Holy Spirit hold us forever,
so that through your grace
we may worship you and faithfully serve you,
follow you and joyfully find you,
through Jesus Christ, our Saviour and Lord.  Amen. [ii]


The Proclamation of the Word

The First Reading

A reading from the prophet Isaiah (49.1-7).

            49.1 Listen to me, O coastlands, pay attention, you peoples from far away!  The Lord called me before I was born, while I was in my mother’s womb he named me.  2 He made my mouth like a sharp sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me a polished arrow, in his quiver he hid me away.  3 And he said to me, “You are my servant, Israel, in whom I will be glorified.”

            4 But I said, “I have laboured in vain, I have spent my strength for nothing and vanity; yet surely my cause is with the Lord, and my reward with my God.”  5 And now the Lord says, who formed me in the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob back to him, and that Israel might be gathered to him, for I am honoured in the sight of the Lord, and my God has become my strength — 6 he says, “It is too light a thing that you should be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob and to restore the survivors of Israel; I will give you as a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth.”

            7 Thus says the Lord, the Redeemer of Israel and his Holy One, to one deeply despised, abhorred by the nations, the slave of rulers, “Kings shall see and stand up, princes, and they shall prostrate themselves, because of the Lord, who is faithful, the Holy One of Israel, who has chosen you.”

Hear what the Spirit is saying to the Church.
Thanks be to God.

The Psalm

Psalm 40.1-11(NRSV) with refrain from Songs for the Holy One.

Refrain (sung twice):  Your loving loyalty is ever with us, Holy One.

1 I waited patiently upon the Lord *
            who stooped to me and heard my cry.
2 God lifted me out of the desolate pit, out of the mire and clay, *
            and set my feet on a high cliff and made my footing sure.
3 God put a new song in my mouth, *
            a song of praise to our God;
many shall see, and stand in awe, *
            and put their trust in the Lord.
Refrain:  Your loving loyalty is ever with us, Holy One.

4 Happy are they who trust in the Lord! *
            they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods.
5 Great things are they that you have done, O Lord my God! *
            how great your wonders and your plans for us! 
There is none who can be compared with you. *
            Oh, that I could make them known and tell them,
            but they are more than I can count.
6 In sacrifice and offering you take no pleasure *
            (you have given me ears to hear you);
            burnt-offering and sin-offering you have not required.
7 And so I said, “Behold, I come. *
            In the roll of the book it is written concerning me:
8 ‘I love to do your will, O my God; *
            your law is deep within my heart.’”

Refrain:  Your loving loyalty is ever with us, Holy One.

9 I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation; *
            behold, I did not restrain my lips; and that, O Lord, you know.
10 Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart; *
            I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance;
I have not concealed your love and faithfulness *
            from the great congregation.
11 You are the Lord; do not withhold your compassion from me; *
            let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever.

Refrain:  Your loving loyalty is ever with us, Holy One.

The Second Reading

A reading from Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians (1.1-9)

            1.1 Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and our brother Sosthenes,

            2 To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, together with all those who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord and ours:

            3 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

            4 I give thanks to my God always for you because of the grace of God that has been given you in Christ Jesus, 5 for in every way you have been enriched in him, in speech and knowledge of every kind — 6 just as the testimony of Christ has been strengthened among you — 7 so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ.  8 He will also strengthen you to the end, so that you may be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.  9 God is faithful; by him you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Hear what the Spirit is saying to the Church.
Thanks be to God.

Hymn before the Gospel

‘Laudate Dominum’  Common Praise #313 (sung twice in Latin)

The Gospel

The Lord be with you.
And also with you.
The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to John (1.29-42)
Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ.

            1.29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him and declared, “Here is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!  30 This is he of whom I said, ‘After me comes a man who ranks ahead of me because he was before me.’  31 I myself did not know him; but I came baptizing with water for this reason, that he might be revealed to Israel.”  32 And John testified, “I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him.  33 I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain is the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’  34 And I myself have seen and have testified that this is the Son of God.”

            35 The next day John again was standing with two of his disciples, 36 and as he watched Jesus walk by, he exclaimed, “Look, here is the Lamb of God!”  37 The two disciples heard him say this, and they followed Jesus.  38 When Jesus turned and saw them following, he said to them, “What are you looking for?”  They said to him, “Rabbi” (which translated means Teacher), “where are you staying?”  39 He said to them, “Come and see.”  They came and saw where he was staying, and they remained with him that day. It was about four o’clock in the afternoon.  40 One of the two who heard John speak and followed him was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother.  41 He first found his brother Simon and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which is translated Anointed).  42 He brought Simon to Jesus, who looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John.  You are to be called Cephas” (which is translated Peter).

The Gospel of Christ.
Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ.

Hymn after the Gospel

‘Laudate Dominum’  Common Praise #313 (sung twice in Latin)

The Homily

The Affirmation of Faith

Let us affirm our faith.

We believe and trust in God,
the Author of creation,
source of all being and life,
the one for whom we exist.

We believe and trust in God,
the Word of redemption,
who took our human nature,
died for us and rose again.

We believe and trust in God,
the Spirit of wisdom,
who lives to the people of God
and makes Christ known in the world.

We believe and trust in one God,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
who was and is and is to come.  Amen. [iii]

The Prayers of the Community

Intercessions, Petitions and Thanksgivings

The Exchange of the Peace

May the peace of the Lord be always with you.
And also with you.

The Holy Communion

Offertory Hymn

‘Christ, Be Our Light’  Evangelical Lutheran Worship #715

Prayer over the Gifts

Let us pray.

Good and loving God,
we rejoice in the birth of Jesus,
who came among the poor
to bring the riches of your grace.
As you have blessed us with your gifts,
let them be a blessing for others.
With the trees of the field,
with all earth and heaven,
we should for joy at the coming of your Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen. [iv]

Thanksgiving at the Table

The Lord be with you. 
And also with you.
Lift up your hearts. 
We lift them to the Lord.
Let us give thanks to the Lord our God. 
It is right to give our thanks and praise.

It is indeed right, our duty and our joy,
that we should at all times and in all places
give thanks and praise to you, almighty and merciful God,
through our Saviour Jesus Christ. 
By the leading of a star he was shown forth to all nations;
in the waters of the Jordan you proclaimed him your beloved Son,
and in the miracle of water turned to wine he revealed your glory. 
And so, with all the choirs of angels,
with the church on earth and the hosts of heaven,
we praise your name and join their unending hymn:

Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might,
heaven and earth are full of your glory. 
Hosanna in the highest.  

Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. 
Hosanna in the highest. [v]

The Thanksgiving continues with one of the following Thanksgivings.

Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal: 
you we praise and glorify, you we worship and adore. 
You formed the earth from chaos;
you encircled the globe with air;
you created fire for warmth and light;
you nourish the lands with water. 
You moulded us in your image,
and with mercy higher than the mountains,
with grace deeper than the seas,
you blessed the Israelites and cherished them as your own. 
That also we, estranged and dying, might be adopted to live in your Spirit,
you called to us through the life and death of Jesus.

In the night in which he was betrayed,
our Lord Jesus took bread, and gave thanks;
broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying: 
Take and eat; this is my body, given for you. 
Do this for the remembrance of me.

Again, after supper, he took the cup, gave thanks,
and gave it for all to drink, saying: 
This cup is the new covenant in my blood,
shed for you and for all people for the forgiveness of sin. 
Do this for the remembrance of me.

Together as the body of Christ,
we proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes. 
Christ has died.  Christ is risen.  Christ will come again.

With this bread and cup we remember your Son,
the first-born of your new creation. 
We remember his life lived for others,
and his death and resurrection, which renews the face of the earth. 
We await his coming,
when, with the world made perfect through your wisdom,
all our sins and sorrows will be no more. 
Amen.  Come, Lord Jesus.

Holy God, holy and merciful, holy and compassionate,
send upon us and this meal your Holy Spirit,
whose breath revives us for life, whose fire rouses us to love. 
Enfold in your arms all who share this holy food. 
Nurture in us the fruits of the Spirit,
so that we may be a living tree,
sharing your bounty with all the world. 
Amen.  Come, Holy Spirit.

Holy and benevolent God,
receive our praise and petitions,
as Jesus received the cry of the needy,
and fill us with your blessing,
until, needy no longer and bound to you in love,
we feast forever in the triumph of the Lamb: 
through whom all glory and honour is yours,
O God, O Living One, with the Holy Spirit,
in your holy church, now and for ever.  Amen. [vi]

The Lord’s Prayer

As our Saviour taught us, let us pray,

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial,
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power,
and the glory are yours,
now and for ever.  Amen. [vii]

The Breaking of the Bread

God of promise,
you prepare a banquet for us in your kingdom.
Happy are those who are called
to the supper of the Lamb.

The gifts of God for the people of God.
Thanks be to God.

The Communion

The Hymn after Communion

‘How Great Thou Art’  Common Praise #423 vv. 1, 2

The Sending Forth of the Community

Prayer after Communion

Let us pray.

God of glory,
you nourish us with bread from heaven.
Fill us with your Holy Spirit,
so that through us your light may shine in all the world.
We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen. [viii]

Glory to God,
whose power, working in us,
can do infinitely more
than we can ask or imagine.
Glory to God from generation to generation,
in the Church and in Christ Jesus,
for ever and ever.  Amen.

Closing Hymn

‘Ye Holy Angels Bright’  Common Praise #323

Dismissal

The Deacon sends the Community forth with an appropriate Dismissal.


[i] Introductory Response for Incarnation in The Book of Alternative Services (1985), 96 alt.

[ii] Evangelical Lutheran Worship (2006), 22 alt.

[iii] Adapted from Common Worship  (2001) by the Rev’d Richard Geoffrey Leggett.

[iv]  Liturgy Task Force, ‘Trial Use Collects for Years A, B & C and Seasonal Prayers over the Gifts and after Communion’ (2016), 158.

[v] Common Praise #735.

[vi] Evangelical Lutheran Worship (2006), 67 alt.

[vii] Common Praise #744.

[viii] The Book of Alternative Services (1985), 350 alt.

No comments: