Monday, June 22, 2015

Choose Life Rather than Death: Thoughts on National Aboriginal Day (21 June 2015)

Dear Friends,

This year the week before National Aboriginal Day became more and more challenging.  Paula and I have recently moved from Surrey to North Delta and now inhabit a wonderful house --- full of boxes.

To make life even more interesting, our daughter, Anna, graduated from Osgoode School of Law at York University on Friday the 19th.  It was a command performance for her parents and her brothers. Tuesday morning Owen flew east.  Tuesday night I flew east.  Wednesday morning David flew east.  Wednesday night Paula flew east.  Then there was a flurry of activity.

But most importantly and more troubling were the events of Wednesday night in Charleston.  As Anna, Owen, David and I were sharing dinner together in Toronto, Dylann Root entered Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, joined the prayer service and then rose to kill nine people just because they were African-American.

By the time I returned to Vancouver, I was uncertain about what I would say to the people of Saint Faith's on Sunday morning.

Click here to listen to what I said to my congregation at the 10.00 a.m. eucharist on Sunday the 21st.

Blessings to one and to all,

Richard+

No comments: